Everything you need to know in order for you to create a presentation that is just as stimulating as your content!
You will find a detailed explanation of the Content Box Toolbar at the bottom of this page and a helpful Video Tutorial here.
MAIN TOOLBAR Here you can change your iPoster’s colors and fonts, add and edit your Author Info, add and edit your Abstract, add Keywords (if enabled for your conference), insert an Audio Narration for your whole iPoster, load and edit images into your Image Gallery, and other actions.
- DESIGN YOUR iPOSTER Use the DESIGN YOUR iPOSTER-button on the Main Toolbar to customize the look of your iPoster. You can add colors, color gradients, and images to your background; change the colors of your content boxes; and adjust the fonts of your titles and texts. Please Note: Some conference organizers have disabled this function in order to standardize the look of all the iPosters at their event. In this case, the button will not be displayed.
- PRINT: Click on the PRINT Button to create a PDF of your iPoster. You can then print out the PDF. Please note that the PDF will include all of your texts and images from each of your Content Boxes, so it will be a multi-page document – the number of pages will depend upon how much content you have created.
- PREVIEW: You can see what your iPoster will look like at the conference, and test the multi-media functionality by clicking on the PREVIEW button on the Main Toolbar. It’s also a good tool to use for rehearsing your presentation.
- SAVE: don’t forget to Save your Work!
- PUBLISH: click the PUBLISH Button when you’re ready for your work to be reviewed for technical quality. You can continue to work on your iPoster even when it’s been published.
- DELETE: If you want to switch to another template, use this button to delete your current iPoster. Important – Your images will be saved in the Image Gallery, but your texts will be deleted. So, save your texts in another document before deleting the template. When you click on the button, you will be returned to the Template Chooser where you can open a new template. Copy and paste your texts back into the new fields. Place your cursor where you want your images to be, open the INSERT IMAGE tool and go to the Image Gallery to retrive your previously loaded images.
TITLE AND SUBTITLE FIELDS These fields are fixed in size, so please consider the following when adding your title, and lists of co-authors and institutions:
- If you have a very long abstract title, try to make the title of your iPoster as short as possible so that it doesn’t take up too much room. Your full abstract title will be displayed automatically on the search screen at the conference.
- Likewise, keep your list of co-author names and affiliations (institutions) brief. If you have a long list, use the Author Info Button on the Main Toolbar. There’s lots of space there. Visitors will be able to read this information by clicking on the Author Info Button on your iPoster.
- If you want to add superscripts or subscripts to your title fields, we recommend the following online generator:
ADDING CONTENT See the CONTENT BOX TOOLBAR instructions below for more specific information
- TEXTS: If you are extracting texts from a highly formatted file such as a PDF or a PPT, we recommend that you first copy the content to a simple text editor in order to remove the formatting. Then you can copy and paste the content into your iPoster and format the texts as you wish. For more on this, scroll down to the Content Box Toolbar guide.
- IMAGES: Always use the INSERT IMAGE button in the editor to add images. iPosters will accept images in JPG, PNG, or GIF file formats. The system does not support PDF, TIFF or any other format!
- TABLES & CHARTS: We recommend that you do not export tables, charts, and diagrams (from Excel, for example) directly to the templates. Please export your diagram to an image file (jpg or png), or take a screenshot of it, and then import the image using the INSERT IMAGE button. This will look much better on your iPoster and allow visitors to expand the image for easier reading.
- VIDEOS: Use the INSERT VIDEO button in the content box editor to add videos. You must first upload your Video to YouTube, and then copy the URL. Paste the URL into the Insert Video box.
- SOUND FILES: Use the INSERT AUDIO button in the editor to add sound files. Create your sound file in MP3 format – any other formats will need to be converted. (Click here for more information on sound files)
- AUTHOR PHOTO & INSTITUTION LOGO: In the upper right and left corners of your iPoster you can insert images of yourself and your co-authors and your institution. (Some conferences may not allow this – please check with your conference organiser). You can add up to 10 images in each field.
CONTENT BOX TOOLBAR
1. CLEAN PASTED TEXT Use this tool to “clean up” formatted texts that you have copied from PDF, Powerpoint, Word or webpages. These texts can often contain a lot of hidden computer code that can make it difficult for you to format your iPoster the way you would like to.
If you have pasted in a text from another document or web page and it doesn’t respond to your formatting or display properly in the Content Box or in Preview, it probably has a lot of hidden code. In that case, delete it from the Content Box. Then, just click on the icon and paste your text into the open box.
If you continue to have problems, here are some other methods to clean your text.
2. UNDO/REDO With this tool, you can undo or redo changes that you’ve made in your current content box.
3. INSERT IMAGE You must use this tool to insert images into your presentation. Do not try to copy and paste images directly into the content boxes. iPosters only accept images in the following formats PNG, JPG, GIF. If you have an image in any other format, you must convert it to PNG or JPG.
Your iPoster will be displayed on High Definition Screens and when your images are tapped on by visitors, they will expand to their full size. So, try to insert images that are as large as possible (up to 1920px x 1080px) so they display well when being browsed.
If you have created charts, graphs, diagrams or other graphic representations in other programs (like Excel or Numbers) we suggest that you take a screen shot of the page and then insert it into your iPoster as a PNG or JPG image. Again, make it as large as possible so that it can be easily read in all of it’s detail when expanded.
4. INSERT VIDEO Load your videos up to YouTube. Then copy the URL and paste it into the video URL field.
5. INSERT AUDIO Insert audio files using this tool. You can add narrations, comments, audio documentations, interviews, etc. You must first record your audio on another device – most people use their mobile phones and then send it to your computer for uploading.
iPosters accept audio files in the MP3 format. If your sound recorder doesn’t support MP3, there are numerous free online converters that you can use. Here’s one, which we think works very well: online-audio-converter.com/
6. CREATE EQUATION This tool enables you to create advanced equations using plain text with LaTeX. It will insert the equation in-line into your content box.
If you want the equation to act like an image and expand when clicked on by a visitor, we suggest that you create your equation in a free-standing version of LaTeX/Mathmatics or similar program. Make it as large as possible on your computer screen, take a screen shot of it, and then import it as an image.
7. CREATE CHART You can create simple bar, line pie, polar and doughnut charts with this tool. As above, if you want to display more complex charts, graphs and diagrams, we suggest that you create them in other programs and then follow the instructions in the “Insert Image” section, above.
8. INSERT SPECIAL CHARACTER Here you can find a vast array of individual symbol and language characters. Scroll through the list to find the type of character you need.
9. INSERT / REMOVE WEB LINK Use this tool to link to an external website in order to display online data sets or other online dynamic information. You can make a link out of a bit of text or an image simply by marking it and then clicking on the Link icon. Copy and paste the full web address into the URL field. If you want to remove the link, just mark the text or image and click on the Unlink icon.
When visitors to your presentation at your event click on the link, the web page will open in a special browser window within your iPoster. Be aware that if you have other links on the target web page, visitors will be able to navigate there, but they will not be able to download any files or fill in any forms.
When viewed online, outside of he iPoster area, the link will open in a new tab.
PLEASE NOTE the following restrictions: • Content other than images and texts will not accept links. You cannot add links to videos or sound files, or to special content created in the editor, such as TeX equations, symbols, or charts. • You cannot turn email addresses into links. You can include an email address as text, but it will not link out.
10. CHANGE FONT COLOR Mark the text you want to change and pick your color from the palette.
11. ADD BACKGROUND COLOR If you want to have a color other than the Content Box’s general color behind a text, mark the text and choose a color from the palette.
12. NORMAL Convert normal text to Headlines using this tool. Choose between different Headline sizes.
13. FONT Choose alternative typefaces for marked sections of text.
14. SIZE Change font size. Note: default font size is 14. This is the recommended size for body text.
15. BOLD, ITALIC, UNDERLINE, SUBSCRIPT, SUPERSCRIPT Change the basic format of a marked text. (NOTE: if you wish to use subscript or superscript in the Title, Author or Insitution-fields at the top of your template, you can copy-paste from this source.)
16. NUMBERED LIST, BULLETED LIST Change to list format
17. ALIGNMENT Align your texts to left, center, right or justified.
18. REMOVE FORMATTING Revert all formatting changes in the Content Box back to default. This can also be useful if you have copied and pasted text from a Word document, a PDF, or another formatted file and you see that it’s not displaying properly in Preview. Highlight the text and click on the Remove Formatting icon.
To see how multimedia content can be presented, take a look at some sample iPosters here.
If you have any questions or problems, check out our FAQ pages.
If you need further help, please contact us here.
Good luck with your iPoster!