Make use of iPosters’ image capabilities – they make for a more attractive and engaging presentation.
There are two ways to add images to your iPoster presentation.
- Upload to the Image Gallery
- Use the Insert Image button in the content box tool bar to Insert directly into your template.
Please note the following:
- Do not paste images directly into the Content Boxes. You must use one of the methods shown above.
- The system will accept files only in PNG, JPG or GIF formats. If you want to load any other file types, including PDF, you must first convert them to one of these before importing them.
- PNG and JPG images larger than 1920px wide and 1080px high will automatically be scaled down to be within these measurements when uploaded.
- If GIF files are larger than 1920 x 1080 they will not animate.
Please see our FAQ for information on how to scale them down properly:
- When people visit your presentation and click on your images, they will expand to their full size, so use images that are as large as possible – up to 1920 x 1080 pixels – so they fill the screen for easy viewing. You can test this by clicking on the Preview button on the main toolbar.
Let’s start with the Image Gallery.
Look at the right-hand toolbar and select IMAGE GALLERY
A modal window (as shown below) will open. You can either drag and drop a file directly from your desktop or choose a file from elsewhere on your computer.
To insert your images into your Content boxes, place your cursor where you want the image to be displayed and then click on the Insert Image button in the Tool bar, as shown below.
This will open the Image Gallery modal window. Click on the Gallery tab to insert images that you have loaded up to your Image Gallery.
You can also upload images directly from your computer.
Place your cursor where you want the image to be displayed and then click on the Insert Image button on the Toolbar.
Click on the Upload tab. You can drag and drop images into the upload field or click on the field to search your computer.
Sound and video will really make your iPoster presentation come alive!
Let’s start with adding videos
Videos are great for documenting different aspects of your research – truly making your work come alive. You can record processes, conduct interviews, and even record yourself making a presentation or commenting on a special aspect of your work. Just follow these steps:
1. Load your video up to YouTube or Vimeo.
2. Copy the video’s URL.
3. Open the Content box where you want your video to be shown and place your cursor where you want it to be inserted.
4. Click on the Insert Video icon at the top of your content box toolbar.
Important: You must use the Insert Video tool to add a video to your presentation. You cannot just copy and paste the URL directly into a Content Box.
5. Copy the URL into the open field and click OK.
6. You’ll see that the video is now displayed in the Content Box. Confirm that it plays properly by clicking on the Preview button on the main toolbar and starting the video.
Now let’s take a look at adding sound files.
This is a way for you to be there even when you’re not there! You can create narrations and explanations so that you can guide your visitors through your work at any time and any place. If your work produces interesting sounds or lends itself to interviews, you can do that too. Here’s how to do it.
1. Record your audio file in a quiet place.
You can use a mobile phone or a more sophisticated system, but we recommend using a microphone. It’s a good idea to rehearse your readings before recording. And review them after you’ve recorded! Are they clear and easy to understand? Recordings should be no longer than 3 minutes.
Please note: The iPoster System accepts only audio files in MP3 format. If you can’t record in that format, you’ll need to convert your files to MP3. This is easy to do using one of the free on-line file-format converters. There are many of them, but here is a simple one that we have tested: online-audio-converter.com/
2. Insert your audio into your iPoster
• If you want to add a general audio presentation for your whole iPoster, click on the AUDIO PRESENTATION button on the Main Toolbar.
• An upload dialogue will open up. You can either browse your computer or drag and drop the audio file into the “Choose audio file“ field.
• If you want to add an audio file to a Content Box, place your cursor in the position you want the audio file to display. Click on the INSERT AUDIO button in the formatting menu at the top of the Content Box.
• You can either browse your computer or drag and drop the audio file into the open field.
3. Test your file in Preview.
• If you added a general audio presentation using the AUDIO PRESENTATION button on the Main Toolbar, you will see that a button for Audio Presentation appears at the bottom of your iPoster.
• If you added a file within a Content Box, you’ll see a Play arrow.
The External link tool expands the range of content you can include in your iPoster presentation.
Use this tool to link to an external website in order to display online data sets, 3D models, visualisations, or other online dynamic information.
You can make a link out of a bit of text or an image simply by marking it and then clicking on the Link icon. Copy and paste the full web address into the URL field. If you want to remove the link, just mark the text or image and click on the Unlink icon.
When visitors to your presentation at your event click on the link, the web page will open in a special browser window within your iPoster. Be aware that if you have other links on the target web page, visitors will be able to navigate there, but they will not be able to download any files or fill in any forms.
When viewed online, outside of the iPoster area, the link will open in a new tab.
PLEASE NOTE the following restrictions:
- Content other than images and texts will not accept links. You cannot add links to videos or sound files, or to special content created in the editor, such as TeX equations, symbols, or charts.
- You cannot turn email addresses into links. You can include an email address as text, but it will not link out.
Make your iPoster stand out from the crowd by changing background colors or adding a background image to your presentation.
It’s quick and easy to do! Just click on the DESIGN YOUR iPOSTER Button to give your presentation a personal touch.
The possibilities are endless!
We urge you to check through your iPoster presentation to ensure all of your texts, images, videos and sound files are displaying and behaving as you want them to.
The best way to do this is to use the Preview function on your template. Click on the PREVIEW button and you’re ready to test your presentation.
Scroll through ALL of your texts
Does your text appear the way you intended? If the formatting looks strange, it may be from pasting text from another document with hidden code. Try using the Remove Format tool to strip off the unwanted code. Then use the built-in tools to format the text as you would like it to be.
Click on ALL of the Content Boxes
Make sure content boxes open and enlarge to fill the screen from top to bottom.
Be sure you can scroll through the content.
Click on ALL of your Images
Make sure your images expand to their full size. If they don’t fill the screen (vertical images from top to bottom, or horizontal images from side to side) you might want to replace them with larger images if you have them available).
If the images don’t display or don’t display properly, you may have used an invalid file format or inserted them incorrectly. The system will only accept images in JPG, PNG or GIF format. Any other format – including PDF – must be reformatted to JPG or PNG.
Images files must be inserted using the Insert Image tool in the Content Box toolbar. You cannot just paste them directly into the content boxes.
Click on ALL of your videos
Make sure any videos play properly. Any problems may be due to an invalid video source, or incorrect insertion. All videos must first be uploaded to YourTube. The system does not support any other platforms. You must use the Insert Video tool in the Content Box toolbar. Copy the video’s URL and paste it into the URL field. You cannot just paste the URLs directly into the content boxes.
IMPORTANT: If you are using the external link function to link to a web page with video, you must be sure that even those videos must be streamed from YouTube . Any other sources may cause problems.
Click on ALL of your sound files
Make sure any sound files play properly. The system only accepts sound files in the MP3 format. Any other formats must be converted to MP3. There are a number of free MP3 converters on the web. Here is one that we’ve tested: https://online-audio-converter.com/
Click on ALL of your external links
Make sure that you have used the Insert Image tool in the Content Box Toolbar to create your links. Are the links going to the pages you want? Are the web pages opening properly? If there is dynamic content, 3D models, animations or other special content on the page, is it displaying? .
IMPORTANT: If you are using the external link function to link to a web page with video, you must be sure that even those videos must be streamed from YouTube . Any other sources will display when viewed online, but they will not work at the conference venue.
And finally – Use Preview to PRACTICE your Presentation
Your iPoster will be presented on a high definition screen at the meeting. But you can still practice on your own computer in the Preview mode. If you can, invite some of your family or friends to listen to you as you present. That will give you some experience in speaking in front of a group and showing them your work.